Staff Profiles: Paul Westermann, P.E., S.E.
Contact by email
Mr. Westermann has 37 years of experience in the field of structural engineering. He has worked on hotels, hospitals, schools, commercial and industrial buildings, casinos, telecommunication facilities, and airline facilities. He has worked with timber, concrete masonry, structural steel, reinforced concrete and tilt-up. At Interactive Resources, he is responsible for overseeing the design from conception to completion. Mr. Westermann also has extensive experience providing structural engineering services for solar photovoltaic array projects.
Paul has also been responsible for overseeing the structural design of all roof-mounted and ground-mounted PV arrays from conception to completion of construction. Conforming to code requirements for wind and seismic forces is the basis of permitting for jurisdictional agencies. Often, the local fire marshal will also have requirements for access. Paul typically visits the site to assess existing conditions, reviews as-built drawings of existing buildings, if available, and provides verification of load capability and design of attachment. For K-12 and community college projects in California, plan check is the responsibility of the DSA, which has its own unique set of requirements.
Bachelor of Architectural Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1979
Registered Professional Engineer: California, Alabama, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas & Puerto Rico
Registered Structural Engineer: California, Arizona, the District of Columbia, Massachusetts, Nevada, Rhode Island, Utah, Vermont & Washington
Structural Engineers Association of California (SEAOC)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
Architectural Engineering Institute (AEI)
Structural Engineering Institute (SEI)
tructural Engineers Association of Northern California (SEAONC)
American Concrete Institute (ACI)
American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
National Council of Examiners for Engineering & Surveying
Puerto Rico Association of Engineers & Surveyors of Puerto Rico
Interactive Resources, 2006-present
Aspen Street Architects, 2001-2005
ALX Engineering, 1996-2001
Gordon H. Chong + Associates, 1988-1996
Leo A. Daly, 1979-1988
- Union Sanitary District Solar Array, Union City, CA
- Oro Loma Sanitary District Solar Array, San Lorenzo, CA
- City of Colusa Solar Array, Colusa, CA
- San Francisco Sunset Reservoir North Solar Project, San Francisco, CA
- San Francisco International Airport Terminal 3 Solar Array
- Vista Irrigation District Solar Array, Vista, CA
- Port of LA Berths 93 Solar Array, San Pedro, CA
- Port of Stockton Solar Array
- Contra Costa Water District Solar Array, Concord, CA
- Deer Island Treatment Plant Solar Array, Winthrop, MA
- Limoneira Solar Farm & Visitor Center, Santa Paula, CA
- Google Headquarters Solar Array, Mountain View, CA
- City of Santa Rosa, Utilities Department – West College Building M Solar Array, Santa Rosa, CA
- Emerson School Solar Array, Berkeley, CA
- San Diego County Transit Solar Array, Oceanside, CA
- Wal-Mart Solar Array, Various Locations
- Food Bank of Solano and Contra Costa Counties, Concord, CA
- Lakeport Unified School District: Structural design and construction administration (EOR) of a new 29,000 SF Multi-Purpose Building.
- Gold Trail Unified School District: Structural design and construction administration (EOR) of a new tilt-up concrete, structural steel and wood Multi-Purpose Building.
- Arena Unified School District: Structural design for a new elementary school campus at Gualala, CA.
- Arena Unified School District: Structural design (EOR) for a new Auditorium Building at Pt. Arena, CA.
- Pacific Academy Middle School: Design of a two-story steel and wood frame school.
- Tuolumne General Hospital: Prepare and monitor structural testing program as precursor to SB-1953 SPC (Structural Performance Category) upgrade.
- Tehachapi Health Care District: Preliminary Design for a new hospital, using structural steel and concrete.
- Sierra Kings District Hospital: Structural design (EOR) for addition to hospital in Reedley, CA.
- Healdsburg General Hospital: Structural design (EOR) for addition to hospital in Healdsburg, CA.
- Various health care projects involving structural upgrades from Non-Structural Performance Category NPC-1 to NPC-2, as mandated by California SB-1953.
- San Francisco International Airport: Construction Administration of the United Airlines Ground Support Equipment (GSE) Building.
- San Francisco International Airport: Construction Administration of the new Flight Kitchen for Dobbs International Food Services.
- San Francisco International Airport: Structural design of modifications to the existing United Airlines baggage conveyor system in conjunction with the new San Francisco International Terminal project.
Seismic Designs and Studies
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company: Seismic Vulnerability Studies of various.
- Building Seismic Safety Council: Case study comparing an existing design based on the 1994 UBC with the design provisions of FEMA 273/274.
- Travis Airforce Base: Seismic renovation of Buildings 380, 50, 51 and 52 for the U.S. Navy. Existing construction was in structural steel, reinforced concrete and timber.